[OT] Beeping gadget

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Nov 17 17:09:00 MST 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 04:48:44PM -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> Hello, everyone:
>
> I am looking for a gadget with the following requirements:
>
>  * must be lightweight (less than 1 once), fit in or on a shoe, or be
>  embedded a lightweight shoe
>  * must beep or make some other unpleasant noise when the foot is touching
>  the ground, and be quiet when the foot is off the ground
>  * must have a switch to turn off the beeper
>  * bonus feature - be configurable so that it beeps if its been on the
>  ground for longer than the specified number of milliseconds
>
> The purpose of the gadget is to help improve running form by encouraging
> the runner to minimize ground contact time.

Training Jedis to levitate you are?

I suspect the thing also has to be loud enough to be heard at about
two to three meters distance by both the runner and a trainer. I
suspect this means a bit of power consumption.

> Any ideas on where to buy or how to make one?

Hmm, adapt one of the shoes I see kids wearing that flash LEDs when
their feet are of the ground.

Or start with a 556, a very rugged switch, a 9V battery, and a lot of
gaffers' tape. This will probably blow the one oz. requirement. Since
you are training a runner, a bit of ballast in the shoes will actually
help. I used to train with 1 and 2 kg ankle weights.

Does it have to run Linux? (There, I brought the thread back on
topic.)