[OT] Beeping gadget

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Thu Nov 17 17:05:25 MST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> I am looking for a gadget with the following requirements:
> The purpose of the gadget is to help improve running form by encouraging the
> runner to minimize ground contact time.

You could prototype one very quickly with a gadgetboard.  The gadgetboard's
big, but would fit in a fanny pack (with wires to the shoe) if you gave up on
miniaturizing:

http://www.lunkwill.org/gadgetboard/

Given a prototype, you could easily port the code to an attiny8, and if your
SMD skills are good, there's a nonzero chance you could fit the entire device
in a shoe.  (But remember, you need sensors, controls (to set delays, etc.),
an actuator (buzzer) and batteries).

It could also be done purely in analog electronics, although the attiny8 comes
in an 8-SOIC package, and that's pretty tough to beat for size:

http://www.optoelectro.com/history/2002/04/0402011.jpg

Microcontrollers also have neat expandability, so for instance, rather than
having an explicit off switch you could tap your heel down in a special rhythm
(shave and a haircut?) to do stuff like turning it on/off and changing the
delay.  Or keep statistics on your run that you could later download.

 					-J