Looking for a solid Multimedia program for streaming video...

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Nov 15 19:40:31 MST 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:11:16PM -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> Michael Halcrow wrote:
> >mplayer -dumpstream in one xterm, mplayer stream.dump in
> >another. There are many other ways to do it, but this requires the
> >least amount of hassle w/ the way I have things set up.
>
> Can I dump the stream to my webroot (/var/www) and grab it via http
> with mplayer on another machine?

I'm not sure; try it. :-)

You essentially want to stream the data. I am not sure how your web
server handles partially written files. If it takes a size sampling
from the fstat at request time and transmits only that many bytes,
then no, that will not work. On the other hand, your web browser may
rerun the fstat periodically and continue transmitting the file as
long as the amount transmitted is less than the size of the file. But
then you will hit the file size quickly if you are pulling it down at
full throttle.

In any case, this sounds like a job for IceCast...

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits
of the world."
 - Schopenhauer