Doubts on TCP sockets in linux

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Nov 11 10:35:11 MST 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 9:43 PM, hari kumar wrote:
>           I have few doubts on Linux TCP socket.My doubt goes like
> this..I have formed TCP Socket between two host. Now I want to know
> the TCP flag and state details at socket level.I wanted to do some
> encapsulation based upon the flag set. It would be great if anyone can
> help me on this.

I am assuming you are programming TCP sockets.

Uh, the socket level is a layer above the the TCP level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

TCP is at layer 4 (Transport Layer).  Sockets are at layer 5 (Session
Layer).

If you want to use sockets, all the TCP stuff is abstracted away from
your control.  The sockets library contains the code to communicate
to the TCP layer.  This means your code is at the Presentation or
Application layer.  In order to communicate with the TCP layer you
will need to skip the sockets libraries and speak directly to the TCP
layer itself.

Now if my assumption is wrong, and you just want to watch the traffic
flowing, you can use ethereal, tcpdump, etc.  They all have fairly
good documentation.

--lonnie