Database Design Theory?

Matthew Ross Walker matt at
Thu Nov 10 10:40:04 MST 2005

Sasha Pachev wrote:
> Matthew:
> My first suggestion is to relax.

Heh. Relaxing is /not/ one of my problems. :) Unless you count being too
relaxed as a problem. >.>

> Second is to remember that theory
> exists to serve the practice, not the other way around. With that in
> mind, when designing databases, do not think third normal form,
> referential integrity, stored procedures, objects, managers, managers
> talking to objects, objects sending messages to managers, and all other
> things that people like to draw in diagrams during meetings to
> demonstrate they know something.
> Instead, think current and possible future requirements of the
> application, ease of development, ease of maintenance, CPU, RAM, disk
> I/O, and common sense in general. If a trigger, stored procedure, or a
> foreign key look like they are going to help, use them. If you do not
> know much about them, do not worry. If you ever hit a point where you
> really need them, your intuition will guide you to the right place of
> the manual at the right time, and you will learn the matter quickly.

I agree fully. But I like to have at least a basic knowledge of how
things work, to give my intuition some guidance. Plus, learning things
is fun, and the more I know, the more things I find out there are to
learn. I'm still trying to find a good project to use my basic Lisp
knowledge on, but if I don't find one, oh well. Someday it'll come it

Thanks to all the other people who replied to this thread. Sorry I
haven't been responding. Had a very busy couple days, since we're
switching hosting companies for our major back-end systems, and I've
been in meetings with the new dev team, talking about our requirements,
and what we can expect from them.

Matthew Walker
The Brain Garden, Inc
matt at
Work: (801) 655-1075
Home: (801) 491-2079
Page: (801) 283-9887 (Emergencies Only)

Random Quote:
There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over.
             -- Larry Wall in <1992Aug19.041614.6963 at>