More NVIDIA woes

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:07:07 MST 2005

Brian Beardall told me:

> Additionally you need to have a matching version of nvidia-glx
> installed.  You can do that by updating package.keywords, and adding
> media-video/nvidia-glx also.  I hope this fixes the module problem.

Hooray!  I am now enjoying hardware-accelerated video goodness!  Alas,
I am now vexed with another issue...

In my xorg.conf file, under the "Screen" section, I have the following:

DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
     ViewPort 0 0
     Depth 24
     Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection

And here is my "Monitor" section:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "MEL"
        ModelName    "DPro 2070SB"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 140.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Unfortunately, when I fired up my X server for the first time with the
working nvidia driver, I noticed my resolution was lower than it had
previously been.  I ran the Gnome Screen Resolution applet and it is
showing that I'm running at 1400x1050, which my eyes are telling me is
about right.  Mysteriously, that is the max resolution I see in the
Screen Resolution applet.

Worst of all, it's running at a refresh rate of 60 Hz!  My eyes!!

So I'm confused.  Why is it running at a resolution that I didn't
specify at all in my conf file, and why can I not select the
resolution(s) I want (16x12 or higher)?

Thanks for all the good tips so far, btw.  This experience is building
my character.  I can feel it!

Stephen
--
Ray tracing rules: http://ray-tracer.blogspot.com