More NVIDIA woes

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Nov 9 21:50:51 MST 2005

Stephen Ward wrote:
>>You need to install a newer version of the Nvidia driver.  Nvidia kernel
>>1.0.6629 doesn't work with the 2.6.13 kernel.  To use a newer version
>>you can type:
>>echo "media-video/nvidia-kernel" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

You also need the unstable version of nvidia-glx, and you might as well
get the latest nvidia-settings as well:

cat >> /etc/portage/package.keywords << EOF
media-video/nvidia-kernel ~x86
media-video/nvidia-glx ~x86
media-video/nvidia-settings ~x86
EOF

I've always run with the unstable version with no problems (except the
annoyance of lacking source code.)

>>You will be able to then install a newer version that will work with the
>>2.6.13 kernel.
>

> I must say, I was very excited to try this out.  I updated
> /etc/portage/package.keywords just as you said and was able to install
> nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676-r1.
>
> Unfortunately, I still get the same results.  No X server and "(EE)
> NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!" in my log
> file.
>
> I have seriously bad luck with nvidia.  Maybe I would be better off
> with a new motherboard (my nvidia chip is integrated). :(
>
> Any other ideas?

Load the nvidia module at boot:

# echo 'nvidia' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Then either reboot or 'rmmod nvidia && modprobe nvidia'.

Make sure you have the right /dev entries, which udev should create when
you load the nvidia module:

# ls -l /dev/nvidia*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 195,   0 Oct 19 21:37 /dev/nvidia0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 195, 255 Oct 19 21:37 /dev/nvidiactl

(Ugh, world writeable?  What are they thinking?  There's probably a
security hole lurking there.)

Shane