[OT] Education Theory (was Re: Database Design Theory?)

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Wed Nov 9 20:50:15 MST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:55:32 -0700 (MST), "Ross Werner"
<ross at agilestudios.com> said:
> Huh, I always thought that they used Java and C++ simply because it was
> what most of the professors knew. I never had a class that used either of
> those languages that taught *anything* at all about the language in
> question (with the exception of CS 142 which did teach Java).
>
> Although I guess that begs (oops, raises) the question: why does it
> matter
> what programming language most of the professors know?

In a lot of cases, it doesn't.  In most of my later classes we could use
any language we wanted.  In others, e.g., networking, it made sense to
require C.

For beginning classes, it matters because the professor (more, the TAs)
expect you to need help.

-Jonathan