More NVIDIA woes

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:55:29 MST 2005

Hi folks.  Remember when I was having trouble with panning in my X
server when I installed the nvidia driver on my debian box a few weeks
ago?  (If not, I understand.)

Well I never quite solved it completely, but it is of no importance
now.  I've since wiped out that debian install and put gentoo in its
place.  But alas, now I am having nvidia problems again, though this
time they are of a more sinister nature, and I need help.

I followed the Gentoo nVidia guide pretty much to the letter
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml), but the NVIDIA kernel
module is failing.  To quote my Xorg.0.log file:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

As you may guess from that line, I am unable to run an X server at all
with "nvidia" as my selected driver.  I can run X "just fine" with
"nv" but it has some drawbacks that I would rather not live with.

The only clue I've come up with is this: the kernel I have installed
is 2.6.13-r5, but portage tells me I have version 2.6.11-r2 of the
linux-headers installed.  It is my understanding that when I build the
nvidia-kernel module, it depends on my headers matching my actual
kernel.  Am I on to something here, or are there other forces at work?

Cheers,
Stephen

--
Ray tracing rules: http://ray-tracer.blogspot.com