[OT] Education Theory (was Re: Database Design Theory?)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Wed Nov 9 18:55:32 MST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Interesting point.  Computer science courses could cover more ground that
> way.  It appears that the general belief among computer science instructors
> is that they should use the most popular languages, like Java and C++, to
> incidentally teach practice while they're teaching theory.

Huh, I always thought that they used Java and C++ simply because it was
what most of the professors knew. I never had a class that used either of
those languages that taught *anything* at all about the language in
question (with the exception of CS 142 which did teach Java).

Although I guess that begs (oops, raises) the question: why does it matter
what programming language most of the professors know?

 	~ Ross