[OT] Education Theory (was Re: Database Design Theory?)

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Nov 9 16:45:45 MST 2005

On Wed,  9 Nov 2005 at 16:27 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Hans Fugal wrote:
> >So my modification is this: provide motivation. It may be doing some
> >practical stuff first, or it may be enough to show where the theory
> >applies in something the students are interested in. Don't focus too
> >much on practical stuff, though, for there lies false security and
> >misconceptions. Just enough to get the motivation.
>
> That sounds like a good balance.  Did BYU stick to that balance, for the
> most part?

Well I honestly don't remember (and don't feel like swapping it in,
sorry). I tend to take charge of my own education and ignore what the
guy up front or the students next to me are doing, unless it's
interesting. That tends to work well, but has its drawbacks (falling
asleep in class, missing quickly-mentioned important points, not
learning enough DSP because I don't like image processing...)

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach