[OT] Education Theory (was Re: Database Design Theory?)

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Nov 9 15:27:57 MST 2005

Ross Werner wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> Nearly every time I've taken a theory-heavy class in something I
>> haven't learned on my own, I struggled a lot.
>

> Same here. But I don't think it's necessarily (either in my case or in
> your case) simply because I tried applying stuff first--I think it was
> more because (a) I was already familiar with some of the basic ideas in
> the material, and (b) it was something I was already at least somewhat
> interested in (as evidenced by the fact that I had already learned
> something on my own).

How did you gain that interest?  I saw my uncle playing with
electronics, so I got interested in electronics.  I saw my dad playing
with a computer, so I learned that too.  And so on.  Shouldn't students
have a similar opportunity to witness the practical value of something,
helping them gain interest, before learning the theory behind it?

I've had a few excellent instructors who did indeed show why the subject
was interesting.  I long for more of those precious few.

Shane