Database Design Theory?

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Tue Nov 8 22:12:30 MST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:30:04PM -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> I tried to use PG inheritance in a project earlier this year.  It
> quickly became clear that it's not very useful except for toys.  Which
> is unfortunate, because it has the potential to make life a lot easier
> in some situations.
>
> See http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2004-06/msg00236.php

Yep. Inheritance in PG is more of a legacy, a vestigial organ from its
research-database-in-Berkeley days.

Plus the PG developers are striving to keep it close to the SQL spec, and
the PG inheritance stuff is quite different.

-Roberto

P.S.: Someone commented on PG 8.1, and it does look like another good
release. PG continues to make solid performance improvements that are sure
to benefit small and large applications alike.