shell for certification exam

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Tue Nov 8 22:03:46 MST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Jason Holt wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Ross Werner wrote:
>> they can turn off whatever customizations you have created. In the security
>> world, having physical access to a computer basically means that there is
>> no way to completely secure that computer.
>
> Well, it depends on what you mean by "console access".  The BYU kiosks are
> pretty good nowadays, AFAICT.  Keep them from opening the case, out of the
> bios and bootloader, and then it's down to limiting what an unprivileged user
> can do.

Indeed. By "physical access" I mean full physical access. Once you even
mitigate that with "supervised physical access" it becomes much more
difficult for a malicious attacker to circumvent the system.

(For example, I'm sure the proctors at these exams will notice somebody
opening a case and tripping the BIOS password reset. They'd *probably*
notice someone switching to a virtual terminal long enough to figure out
what's up with the iptables configuration and do something to get around
it. They probably *wouldn't* notice someone switching to a virtual
terminal long enough to paste the exam text into an ssh session, if done
surreptitiously.)

 	~ Ross