shell for certification exam

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Tue Nov 8 20:21:47 MST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Alan K Melby wrote:
> The certification test will usually be given at a university computer lab
> where we do not have much control over the computers and probably are not
> allowed to touch the router. Can we accomplish pretty much the same thing
> with a customized version of a bootable Knoppix Linux image without touching
> the router?

Yes, it's just tricky since OSes are made to have lots of flexibility and
features, rather than to keep people from doing things.  But from a security
standpoint, it should be quite possible to limit what a user can do.  The BIOS
is the first thing to lock down, so users can't just boot off their own media.
Then the bootloader, then you have auto-login for the non-privileged user and
make sure that user can't do anything you don't want.

 					-J