Database Design Theory?

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Tue Nov 8 20:14:45 MST 2005

Matthew:

My first suggestion is to relax. Second is to remember that theory exists to
serve the practice, not the other way around. With that in mind, when designing
databases, do not think third normal form, referential integrity, stored
procedures, objects, managers, managers talking to objects, objects sending
messages to managers, and all other things that people like to draw in diagrams
during meetings to demonstrate they know something.

Instead, think current and possible future requirements of the application, ease
of development, ease of maintenance, CPU, RAM, disk I/O, and common sense in
general. If a trigger, stored procedure, or a foreign key look like they are
going to help, use them. If you do not know much about them, do not worry. If
you ever hit a point where you really need them, your intuition will guide you
to the right place of the manual at the right time, and you will learn the
matter quickly.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting