Database Design Theory?

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Tue Nov 8 16:49:15 MST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Matthew Ross Walker wrote:
> Grant Shipley wrote:
>> On 11/8/05, Matthew Ross Walker <matt at thebraingarden.com> wrote:
>> This I guess suggestion a course at the local college or university is
>> out of the question?
>
> Plus, I historically do poorly in rigidly structured class. But I guess
> since I'd just be auditing it anyway, that wouldn't be too big a deal.

>From my limited experience (*couBYUgh*) college/university database
classes speak far more about the mathematical theory of databases (as well
they should) than helpful real-world design principles regarding views,
stored procedures, foreign-key constraints, when to separate data into
different tables, when to keep it in a single table, etc. etc.

However, I don't know where good information on this subject can be found.
There's all sorts of good design information for software on the web, from
UI to class structure, but I don't know of any for databases. Let me know
if you find anything!

 	~ Ross