openvpn woes

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Nov 7 19:45:13 MST 2005

I know Andrew and a few others on here are openvpn experts, so I am
posting a couple of my problems here.

First I have my home network successfully connecting (via the openvpn
client on my linksys router) to my linode.  This allows me to send
traffic back and forth between my linode and any host on my local
network.

I've tried to add a second machine to my vpn (from work) and I'm having
difficulties.  If I connect, the work machine gets the expected IP
address as set by the config file, but I can't ping anymore.  On the
server, the tun0 ip address is unchanged (more on this below) and the
routes are unchanged, but now I can't ping anything.  What gives?

Do all vpn connections (to the same server) share the same tun0 end-
point ip address?  I was understanding that openvpn sets up p2p
connections with an ip address at each end.  How does this work?  The
docs are not clear.  Does each end-point have it's own tun device or do
they all share on the server?

Secondly I can't get dynamic address assignment to work. My linksys
comes in and gets a static assignment (this is *not* using dhcp or
bridged-mode; I'm using routing only).  When I try to get the work
machine to merely get a dynamic address, the connection is made, but the
tun0 on the client gets no address assigned to it (it's not even up).
The logs show a successful authentication.

I probably have other issues, but I'll deal with them later.

cheers,
Michael