MythTV DVD Jukebox question

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Nov 7 15:32:56 MST 2005

Jason Holt wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> I agree.  Also, the best way to deal with scratched DVDs (after lens
>> cleaning solution and toothpaste) is:
>>
>>  dd if=/dev/dvd of=tmp.dvd bs=1000000 conv=noerror
>>  ogle tmp.dvd
>

> Where do the CSS keys come from?  Does ogle know to get them off the
> disc directly?  (I thought dd doesn't have access to the keyblock).

Either libdvdcss or libdvdread (I've forgotten which) does the CSS
magic.  Ogle needs nothing but the DVD image.  It warns that the initial
decoding might take a long time, but it always seems to finish in a
fraction of a second.

While the MPAA doesn't like that this "skeleton key" capability is now
so accessible, the MPAA is not the governing body, and the real
governing body still employs fair use doctrine.  For now...

http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/fair_use_and_drm.html

Shane