MythTV DVD Jukebox question

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Nov 7 14:57:47 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:39 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Jason Holt wrote:
> > One disadvantage of DVD players is that they enforce the movie industry's
> > megalomaniacal ideas about when you should be able to fast forward, visit the
> > menu, or back up your DVDs.
>
> Not to mention limiting what country you can buy your DVDs from ...

Not if you're creative enough. I found a site (sorry, I can't recall the
URL) that had secret unlock codes for a number of models of DVD players.
Mine was on there and allowed me to turn of Macrovision and region
codes. The first was important because I needed to mux the DVD &
Gamecube through the VCR. The second one was just gravy.

That said, I would much prefer to have MythTV as a jukebox to solve the
Toddler Problem (sticky fingers, etc.). Right now I rip my DVDs to VCD
for him, but it's just not the same. And it doesn't stop him from
putting 3 disks in at once. Cheaper to replace when they get scratched
though.

Corey