Electricity Usage (was Wireless Cards)

Doug Thompson norsk5 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 09:53:25 MST 2005

I have a several monitoring devices. One is called
"Kill-A-Watt".  My watt usage at this moment is 734
watts for the following:

1) 550 Mhz AMD K3, with 512 MB Ram  (This runs abt 117
watts w/o monitor) (Redhat 7.3 box, good ole server)
2) AMD Athlon 2600+  (Windoze box)
3) AMD Athlon 2600+  (SuSE 10.0)
4) AMD Athlon64 3500+  (SuSE 10.0)
5) Cisco 678 DSL Router
6) US Robotics 56k Model/FAX
7) 2 21 Inch analog monitors
8) 1 19 inch analog monitor
9) KVM Switch

I turn off one of the Athlon 2600+s (windoze) and all
of the monitors (I use 3 monitors for my desktop and
ssh into the others) when I am not using the systems.
At that point, my usage is abt 435 watts

So most of the time it is 435 watts * 24 hours which
is 10.4 kwh per day * 30 days = 300 kwhs @ 10 cents
per  $30 per month for the constant 3 computers plus
my access times with the monitors.

I track this because I generate 25% of my own power
with Solar Panels and a good UPS to keep the computers
and other systems working in the house. I want to know
my useage

doug thompson

--- Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com>