Electricity Usage (was Wireless Cards)

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Sun Nov 6 09:07:52 MST 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 07:34:38AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> Well, let's see. My desktop PC has a 500 watt power supply, which is
> overkill, but gives you a worst case number. My Linksys WAP54G has an
> 11 watt wall power supply. Again, that's probably worst case. Now get
> your electricity bill out & crunch some numbers.

That's the thing with worst case numbers.  I have two machines, one of
which I'm sure uses three times as much juice as the other, and a switch
and cable modem, which all together use just over 100W.  My firewall
probably uses 20-30W, and certainly less than 50W.

By the way, thank you everyone who has given information on wireless
routers in this thread.  I feel a lot more knowledgable now about what's
out there.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/