Wireless Cards

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Nov 6 09:00:41 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 04:34 -0700, Chris Carey wrote:
> The Linksys is certainly not the best hardware with 4MB flash and 16MB
> RAM. Most all of these routers can be upgraded with a USB port (some
> already have it), and support an external ext2/3 filesystem. Of
> course, with that USB2.0 port you could attach gigs of persistant
> storage. Still, the built-in memory is a restriction.

And CPU.  Dan's Guardian is fairly CPU intensive.  It's not just URLs
and ip addresses that are matched, but content also.

There are lots of pros and cons regarding a small linksys vs a normal
box.  For me the issue isn't so much electricity, but space.  I got
tired of all my computers around.  So I eliminated my big firewall and
put in the linksys instead, and I got a new mini-ATX machine that fits
inside my desk.  And I like the idea that the firewall is diskless.

Ideally the firewall should have a 1 gHz processor, 1 gb of RAM, and
some significant solid-state storage.  If my linksys had all that I'd be
set!

Michael