Wireless Cards

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:54:33 MST 2005

On 11/5/05, Scott Paul Robertson <spr at mahonri5.net> wrote:
> More versatile? In what way?

I won't weigh in on the versatility argument, but I would like to
point out that a little AP doesn't have a huge noisy fan to keep it
cool, nor does it cost $10/month in electricity to run.  That means I
can leave it running 24/7 without feeling guilty.

As for PCI card recommendations I have an RT2500-based card that works
great.  The drivers are in Ubuntu Breezy, but they are not SMP-safe
yet.  They weren't in Hoary, but were easy to compile.  Mine is a
Foxconn (aka generic), which has a nice little external antenna.
Looks like newegg is out of those, but a lot of the cheapest PCI
802.11g cards are RT2500-based.