Wireless Cards

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 16:27:05 MST 2005

On 11/5/05, Scott Paul Robertson <spr at mahonri5.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 01:16:51AM -0700, Chris Carey wrote:
> > For your situation (no access point) - why not just buy an access
> > point and stick it next to your computer?  It will be as cheap as the
> > PCI card, easier to configure, and more versatile.
> >

> More versatile? In what way? In the fact you can use it in different
> environments without moving a desktop, yes. But a wireless router
> (ignoring the linksys one you can hack) doesn't have near the
> capabilities of a PCI wireless card in a Linux box. Here at my apartment
> Andrew has set up a desktop as a router/firewall with a prism54g
> wireless card. It acts as the coolest access point ever, no WPA, no WEP,
> but yet no one can use it unless they connect to our openvpn setup. That
> and the dansguardian filtering is pretty nice. I think you get a lot
> more versatility with a desktop and PCI card in Linux. You can do what
> ever you want, and it probably won't need to reboot as much as that
> crappy netgear wireless router I have.
>
> Of course, there is a bit of a learning curve with the PCI card, but I
> think it's worthwhile.

I was (without mentioning brand names) specifically thinking of the
linksys router. It can run openvpn on the router, which would
eliminate the need for a seperate openvpn install. You can run it in
client mode, AP mode, WDS mode, use it for Kismet, OpenVPN, gkrellmd,
snort, WPA, WPA2. Has a 4 port switch with VLAN support, seperate
Internet port (which you can also VLAN and dont have to use for
Internet). It's much more versatile than a PCI HostAP setup. Plus its
about the same price as many PCI wireless cards. And by using a
seperate box, you would be able to reboot your computer and the
(openVPN and wireless) network wouldnt go down.