Wireless Cards

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Sat Nov 5 08:51:57 MST 2005

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 01:16:51AM -0700, Chris Carey wrote:
> For your situation (no access point) - why not just buy an access
> point and stick it next to your computer?  It will be as cheap as the
> PCI card, easier to configure, and more versatile.

More versatile? In what way? In the fact you can use it in different
environments without moving a desktop, yes. But a wireless router
(ignoring the linksys one you can hack) doesn't have near the
capabilities of a PCI wireless card in a Linux box. Here at my apartment
Andrew has set up a desktop as a router/firewall with a prism54g
wireless card. It acts as the coolest access point ever, no WPA, no WEP,
but yet no one can use it unless they connect to our openvpn setup. That
and the dansguardian filtering is pretty nice. I think you get a lot
more versatility with a desktop and PCI card in Linux. You can do what
ever you want, and it probably won't need to reboot as much as that
crappy netgear wireless router I have.

Of course, there is a bit of a learning curve with the PCI card, but I
think it's worthwhile.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net