Utopia?

Greg and Jill Jepperson gregjill at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:36:44 MST 2005

I live in Orem.

Xmission is $44 a month for 15 Mbps up to 100 GB/month
(http://xmission.com/utopia/index.html).  Not sure how much it costs
if you go over that.  There is also no contract so you could cancel
anytime.

MStar has their regular pricing listed here
(http://www.mstarmetro.net/pricing/utopia.html).  They are running a
promotion (not sure how long or what areas it is available other than
Orem) that provides internet and phone service for $41.95.  The
internet is restricted to 2 GB/month and you are charged $1 per GB
over that.  You can pay $15 more for 100 GB/month.  For $10 more they
offer unlimited long distance.  For the promotion they require a 1
year contract.  They have other plans too if the 2 GB limit is too low
for you.

The MStar sales guy and customer support seem uncertain of what
exactly is offered with the service and what additional costs are for
extra services.  Xmission is what I would call a "geek friendly"
company.  They are very open with what is going on with their network
(via email announcement and access to their network monitoring
system).  I really like that.

MStar gets a bad rap for their phone service because they took over
the contract for one of the iProvo providers that fizzled.  I don't
know how much of the service problems were their fault but they sales
guy said it had nothing to do with them (go figure).

I went with MStar because I thought I could manage my usage enough to
stay under the 2 GB/month and if the phone service doesn't work out
then I'll get a cell phone for my wife.  The sales guy gave me my
first 2 months free too... I think he was tired of my questions.

Hope it all works out!
Greg