Hiring Preferences (was "Programming partnership wanted")

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Thu Mar 31 14:13:47 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:51:35AM -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:

> Programmer").  If I auditioned for Trinity's character in "The Matrix
> XIV" I bet they wouldn't hire me based on gender preferences.

Or maybe because you wouldn't look as hot on those tight leather pants :-)
> I think it's great that Hollywood, ultra-PC defenders of tolerance of
> everyone except for people who disagree with you, set such a shining
> example of diversity.

I'm not one of those defenders. I was just trying to show the other side
of things.
> > Statiscally, if you have a southern accent, you're considered dumber
> > and will get a lower salary.
> Being from Georgia, I have to say that's a bias that definitely
> exists.  State of origin or regional dialect are not protected classes
> (AFAIK, but IANAL, just a dumb hick that don't talk right), so that's
> perfectly legal.
> But I am 6'2", so statistically that brings me back up above average.
> Ain't life grand?

Yay! :) I personally loved all the southern accent in "Oh brother, where
art thou".

Roberto Mello
Software Engineer, Novell Inc.
ASCII stupid question, get stupid ANSI.