Hiring Preferences (was "Programming partnership wanted")

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Thu Mar 31 08:24:49 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:06:48PM -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> > I don't see how saying "I prefer to work with Mormons" is equal to "I
> > have a policy of refusing to hire people who are not Mormon."
> Sean - good points. I agree with what you say. I remember the time back in
> 1991 when I first learn the term "affirmative action" - I asked my American
> friend in total disbelief if the US government indeed told you who many
> blacks you should hire.
> An employer should be able to hire whoever he wants. If he does not hire
> you because you are a member of some underprivileged group, well, if you
> are good, start your own business and be his competition. If you are not

In a perfect world, where customers of your opposite race would buy from
you just as they would from your competitor from the same race, that is

Not all places are like that however, and trying to make it like it is not
like that is just unrealistic.

Statiscally, if you have a southern accent, you're considered dumber and
will get a lower salary.

Similar things could be said about latinos, blacks, etc. in different

P.S.: I'm not defending affirmative action. I'm just stating why what you
said is not completely true, and can be completely false in some contexts,
and totally true in others.

Roberto Mello
Software Engineer, Novell Inc.
God ist not real, but probably integer...