Hiring Preferences (was "Programming partnership wanted")

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Thu Mar 31 08:24:49 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:06:48PM -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> > I don't see how saying "I prefer to work with Mormons" is equal to "I
> > have a policy of refusing to hire people who are not Mormon."
>
> Sean - good points. I agree with what you say. I remember the time back in
> 1991 when I first learn the term "affirmative action" - I asked my American
> friend in total disbelief if the US government indeed told you who many
> blacks you should hire.
>
> An employer should be able to hire whoever he wants. If he does not hire
> you because you are a member of some underprivileged group, well, if you
> are good, start your own business and be his competition. If you are not

In a perfect world, where customers of your opposite race would buy from
you just as they would from your competitor from the same race, that is
hunky-dory.

Not all places are like that however, and trying to make it like it is not
like that is just unrealistic.

Statiscally, if you have a southern accent, you're considered dumber and
will get a lower salary.

Similar things could be said about latinos, blacks, etc. in different
areas.

-Roberto

P.S.: I'm not defending affirmative action. I'm just stating why what you
said is not completely true, and can be completely false in some contexts,
and totally true in others.

--
Roberto Mello
Software Engineer, Novell Inc.