Hiring Preferences (was "Programming partnership wanted")

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Wed Mar 30 21:06:48 MST 2005

 > I don't see how saying "I prefer to work with Mormons" is equal to "I
 > have a policy of refusing to hire people who are not Mormon."

Sean - good points. I agree with what you say. I remember the time back in 1991
when I first learn the term "affirmative action" - I asked my American friend in
total disbelief if the US government indeed told you who many blacks you should
hire.

An employer should be able to hire whoever he wants. If he does not hire you
because you are a member of some underprivileged group, well, if you are good,
start your own business and be his competition. If you are not good in that
area, work to get better, or choose the area where you are better. Different
groups of people are talented in different areas. Sometimes, in a very
politically incorrect fashion, things like race, or gender happen to be a good
predictor of performance. For example, when moving furniture, a team of randomly
selected men performs better than a team of randomly selected women. The tables
are turned when it comes to taking care of children.

A Kenyan has a higher chance of being a good distance runner than an American. A
Russian has a higher chance of being a better chess player. An African American
has a higher chance of being a better basketball player. While there are a lot
exceptions, statistically, there is a trend, and when dealing with large
numbers, statistics is what matters. Different groups have different talents,
and that is just fine. However, if you have a talent that is unusual for your
group, prove it, and you will only earn respect.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting