Random shutdowns

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Mar 29 21:35:54 MST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 at 20:26 -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Has anyone ever had their server just randomly shutdown?
>
> The last few lines in my /var/log/messages aren't very helpful:
>
> Mar 29 18:29:29 linux -- MARK --
> Mar 29 18:48:49 linux init: Switching to runlevel: 0
> Mar 29 18:48:51 linux sshd[2747]: Received signal 15; terminating.
> Mar 29 19:44:31 linux syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
>
> Any suggestions where to look?

It took an hour to reboot? Or is that time before you noticed it had
shut down? You either have very little running, or your logging is tuned
way down. What distro is it? Some distros log more to /var/log/syslog
than /var/log/messages, some more to messages, and some have no syslog
at all. syslog.conf will tell all and of course it is very configurable.

A random uninitiated shutdown would almost certainly be a hardware
problem, but if as you see above init is switching to runlevel 0, then
_something_ has told it to do so (unless perhaps init decided on its
own)