April PLUG meeting...
bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:27:29 MST 2005
I will be presenting on Java for April's PLUG meeting. Linux is the
fastest growing platform for Java deployments... Obviously we'll be
focusing on Java in a Linux world.
We'll cover the following topics:
* Java performance characteristics.
* The Java technology stack (J2SE, J2EE, J2ME).
* The wealth of high quality open-source software based on Java.
* Introduction to the Eclipse IDE.
* Open-source JVM implementations.
* Compiling Java code to native code with GNU's GCJ -- VMs are for weenies.
* How to launch a jar file :-).
* What WebStart is, and why it's pimp.
* How Java compares to other solutions (PHP, Perl, Python, C#/Mono,
C/C++, Squeak, etc).
* Why corporations love Java -- why Java isn't a half-bad skillset to tout.
* Why Sun Microsystems is Satan... I'm kidding... Kind of.
If you love Java, you should attend.
If you're curious about Java, you should attend.
If you *HATE* Java with a passion, you should sharpen your knives...
and then attend.
Sr. Software Engineer
Sun Certified Java Developer
More information about the PLUG