April PLUG meeting...

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:27:29 MST 2005

I will be presenting on Java for April's PLUG meeting.  Linux is the
fastest growing platform for Java deployments...  Obviously we'll be
focusing on Java in a Linux world.

We'll cover the following topics:

* Java performance characteristics.
* The Java technology stack (J2SE, J2EE, J2ME).
* The wealth of high quality open-source software based on Java.
* Introduction to the Eclipse IDE.
* Open-source JVM implementations.
* Compiling Java code to native code with GNU's GCJ -- VMs are for weenies.
* How to launch a jar file :-).
* What WebStart is, and why it's pimp.
* How Java compares to other solutions (PHP, Perl, Python, C#/Mono,
C/C++, Squeak, etc).
* Why corporations love Java -- why Java isn't a half-bad skillset to tout.
* Why Sun Microsystems is Satan...  I'm kidding...  Kind of.

If you love Java, you should attend.
If you're curious about Java, you should attend.
If you *HATE* Java with a passion, you should sharpen your knives...
and then attend.

Bryan Sant
Sr. Software Engineer
Sun Certified Java Developer