Modem Quandry

Michael Huston mike at jhuston.com
Sat Mar 26 15:26:29 MST 2005

I decided to try configuring wvdial again; I had
troubles earlier and just gave up, but thought that
maybe now I could get a bit of help.

Anyway, I tried setting up wvdial. It sort of seemed
to work, wvdial.conf worked, it opened up the modem,
but it quickly closed it again and proceeded with the
process. Because I had logged output to a file, I
tried to get online with KPPP, which had worked fine
up to that point, to no avail. The error was similar,
too similar. I remind you that I have had no trouble
getting on with KPPP to this point.

Error follows:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Warning: section [Dialer 2] does not exist in
wvdial.conf.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT7221334
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT7221334
NECT 115200
b~[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
[1b]FUN[06]
--> Disconnecting at Sat Mar 26 16:00:09 2005
Caught signal #2!  Attempting to exit gracefully...

The output in the login debug window of KPPP was much
the same, but instead of putting [1b]FUN[06] on each
line, it just put empty boxes seperating the word FUN.

This seems quite odd. I will continue my search for
answers, but if any of you could give me a little
help, I'd really apreciate it.

Mike

PS This is the first time I have tried to dial since I
did an apt-get upgrade.