Linux PHP Editors

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Fri Mar 25 11:39:31 MST 2005

Benjamin Schmuhl wrote:

> Eric Jensen wrote:
>
>> I have been searching the internet for my dream editor and haven't
>> had much luck yet.  Actually, I did find one that is very close
>> (Quanta Plus) but it is for KDE only and that doesn't work for me
>> right now.   Qunata didn't do anything super special that other
>> editors couldn't, with the exception of collapsing code structures.
>> It got me hooked on that feature and I must have it once again.  I've
>> used a lot of editors that work fine with syntax highlighting and all
>> that, but I must have collapsing code.  I crave it.  Otherwise I will
>> stick with my usual editor, vim.  Any suggestions?
>

> I run Quanta in Gnome just fine.  The only thing that I wish it did
> would be function insight on my own code with PHPDoc like ZDE does.
> Quanta is free though, does folding, links to PHP documentation,
> bookmarks, preview, etc.  Pretty nice editor, my fav as far as the
> free ones go.  I'm going  to install Eclipse right now to check it out.

I tried installing Quanta and it yells at me and asked if I have KDE
installed properly.  Ubuntu doesn't come with KDE at all, otherwise
maybe it would allow me to install it.  Maybe I will try an older
version that doesn't seem to be KDE specific.  I think it would be
rewarding to figure out the folding in Vim since I can use it for my
remote SSH sessions as well, but not having a lot of luck with that
either.  I got the indent method to work just fine, but syntax doesn't
do a thing.  Lots and lots of brain hurting RTFM and I'm sure I'll get
somewhere with it.  A nice gui would be great for now though.

Eric Jensen