International Addresses

tuxgirl at gmail.com tuxgirl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:38:07 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:13:31AM -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> We have struggled with this concept here.  I have no perfect solution, but to
> complicate things, I'll point out that most people are accustomed to entering
> addresses beginning with the most granular portion first, which makes your

While this point is true in some parts of the world, I know that there
are other areas where people are accustomed to going in the opposite
direction.  For example, while you *can* write an address either
direction, I have learned that the standard way to write an address in
China (mainland) is to begin with the country, then the province, then
street and number...  It seems like a very unusual system to us, but in
a lot of ways it actually makes sense, because if you're going to
deliver a package, the first thing you need to know is what country it's
going to.  Once it gets to the right country, you need to send it to the
correct state, and then to the street, and then to the actual house.

Anyway, just an interesting (to me) 2-cents

Erin Sharmahd           TuxGirl at gmail.com
CS Student              Unix Users Group
PGP Fingerprint:
F352 FF41 EA0A 67E4 566B 3B5B E65A D3DC 083E 9336