International Addresses

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at
Thu Mar 24 08:17:35 MST 2005

Whe I worked for CoffeeCup software we had international sales all the time.

We just had a freeform zip / postal code, a country dropdown, a
state/province which had canadian provinces, and an extra (at the top)
option "International".  We got our orders out and shipped that way no
problems from China to the Netherlands.

Best regards,

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:31:09 -0700, Richard Esplin <richjunk1 at> wrote:
> The past couple of months many of my clients have wanted help making their web
> forms friendly for their international customers. Unfortunately, there
> doesn't seem to be any international standard for accepting and displaying
> mailing addresses. As far as I can tell, there are only three real options:
> 1) Accept the address as a blob of text formatted however the user chooses.
> Though this is very flexible, it prevents any sort of validation or
> reporting.
> 2) Accept the address in a manner similar to a US address, but with more
> generic names: Street Address, Locality, Region, Postal Code, Country. This
> is how KDE applications approach the problem. The down side is that not every
> area of the world has an address that fits this schema.
> 3) Ask the user to enter a country, and then display input boxes based on that
> specific country. This is perhaps the most correct solution, but very complex
> to manage.
> Which of these methods have you used with your clients? What causes you to
> prefer one method over another? Is there a better way that I have not thought
> of?
> Is there a tool which can do the work for me? I have searched both PEAR and
> CPAN looking for a module which might help me do this, but nothing seems to
> fit. There are lots of proprietary modules I could purchase, but none seems
> to be worth the money. Is there a tool that you would recommend?
> Thanks in advance for any input,
> Richard Esplin
> | This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
> |      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
> |  IRC: #utah at   |

-- Matthew Frederico
$1 million dollars in donations for care packages for our troops: