Encryption

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Wed Mar 23 12:11:03 MST 2005

Working on some encryption schemes and running into a few humps.  We
have a great GnuPG scheme for encrypting all of our backup files.
Really digging the public and private key scheme.  But now we are
wanting to encrypt specific fields in our database.  Reading MySQL docs
and they have some good encryption schemes but it is all symmetric.  We
would like the data to be encrypted with a public key and then during a
special process of our choosing we decrypt with the passphrase protected
secret key that isn't even stored on the server.  This way if there was
every a compromise on the server itself the worst they can do is use our
public key to encrypt more of our data.  I tried using GnuPG to encrypt
strings, but MySQL sure doesn't like you passing it encrypted strings
with all those crazy characters.  Anybody have any ideas?

Eric Jensen