Problems forwarding port 3389

Grant Robinson santiago at
Wed Mar 23 10:21:30 MST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Kenneth Burgener wrote:

> David Smith wrote:
>> <quote who="Kenneth Burgener">
>>> kenneth at debian:~$ telnet 3389
>>> Trying
>>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>> I hate to ask the obvious, but is anything actually listening on port
>> 3389
>> on the desination machine? This woulnd't be LDAP would it?
> It is for Remote Desktop on a Windows XP Client.  The whole reason for
> this script is we are trying to get remote desktop access to a couple
> of employees.  I haven't quite figured out the next step of how to get
> multiple machines to be routed to for the same port.  This is a little
> too soon to ask, but do you think this would work:
> SERVICES="... tcp:8001:  tcp:8002:
> tcp:8003:  tcp:8004:
> tcp:8005:"??

As Doran pointed out, if you are using these rules, then from an
outside box you would do:

telnet your.firewall.ip 8001

to get to  Do you see?  Doing:

telnet your.firewall.ip 3389

does nothing, because you firewall is listening on port 8001 and
forwarding all packets bound for that port to  Does
that make sense?