Problems forwarding port 3389

Doran Barton fozz at
Tue Mar 22 21:53:24 MST 2005

Not long ago, Kenneth Burgener proclaimed...
> I am having issues getting port 3389 to forward to a machine behind my
> Linux firewall/routing machine.  It is forwarding port 80 and 8080 fine,
> but 3389 does not forward.  I have attached the NAT/iptables script below.

Make sure your iptables rules allow traffic to a port in addition to
forward it.

> # IP address, ports and protocols of services accessible by the public.
> # Use "protocol:public-port:private-ip:private-port" with a space
> between each entry.
> SERVICES="tcp:80: tcp:8017:
> udp:8017: tcp:8080:"

This notation seems to indicate your public port forwarding to the internal
box on port 3389 is 8017, not 3389.

fozz at is Doran L. Barton, president, Iodynamics LLC
 "Sight-seeing toilet ahead"
    -- Seen on a sign at a tourist spot in Japan