xorg + nvidia s-video out to tv

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Tue Mar 22 15:56:06 MST 2005

Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:36:23AM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:
>
>>I ended up just getting a new video card and putting everything in a
>>separate box, but it would be nice to know if it can be done at least.
>>

> Ruby allows you to have two X servers.  I'm not aware of anything that
> lets you use an input device on only one display other than by running
> two completely separate X servers.

Andrew, thanks for the tip.  I patched my kernel with Ruby, but it
wouldn't load the nvidia drivers.  I gave up after that since I'm mostly
expirementing right now.  It did have the devices registered separately
though in /proc, so it was definately working.

However, I still think there's got to be a simpler way to do this... I
found out that I can open xterm on display :0.0 and run DISPLAY=":0.1"
mplayer movie.avi which will play the movie on my TV.  When my wm focus
is in the xterm, any keys I press and remote events will control
mplayer.  So, in my limited knowledge of things, it seems to me that it
must be possible to somehow get this working if I could setup my remote
(since that's all I want to use to send events to the TV's X display) to
prepend all commands with DISPLAY=":0.1" ${1}.  Maybe with lirc?  I
haven't looked into that much.

I tried running freevo in xterm on my first display, and that wouldn't
accept any keypresses, so I don't know what the difference between that
and mplayer are.  I havent tried any other programs yet, so mplayer is
probably the exception and not the rule.

Anyway, the bottom line is I wish X was a little more flexible with
input devices.  From what I understand, any events inputted get sent to
all the terminals attached (or something).

I'll just have to keep playing around to see what I can come up with.

Steve