3.2TB RAID 5 and FC3

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Mar 22 15:35:04 MST 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:42 pm, Seth Dunn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just set up a disk array of 7 400GB SATA drives in a RAID5
> configuration on a Fedora Core 3 install and it is showing that the
> RAID5 only has ~397GB's of space.  The RAID is controlled by a
> RocketRaid 1820A PCI-X card by Highpoint Technologies. Here is the
> system information:
> 2.6.9-1.667smp #1 SMP Tue Nov 2 14:59:52 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Is there some kind of limit to how much disk space FC3 can address? Or
> am I just missing something obvious?

I'd agree with Taber.  You're seeing the bare drive.

Is this ROMB by chance?  On many hw raid controllers, the OS can access
the scsi controllers directly, as well as the raid controller, since
all of them are just sitting on a PCI bus.

On some controllers, the PCI bridge can be configured to 'hide' the
controller's internal bus, so that only the raid controller is accessible
by the OS.  Also, some of them will default to not 'hidden' until the
raid controller is initialized--so until the driver module is loaded
the OS will see bare drives if it also has the driver for the scsi
controller chips.

ROMB makes this more likely, since the scsi controllers can't be 'hidden'
from the PCI bus at all--they're always visible to the OS.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC