xorg + nvidia s-video out to tv

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Mon Mar 21 08:36:23 MST 2005

Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:13:17PM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:
>
>>Well, I finally got TV out to work on my nvidia card (yay), but it's not
>>doing what I want it to ...
>>
>>I want to have two X displays available :0 for my desktop, and :1 for
>>the TV, but I can't figure out what in the world I'm doing wrong.
>>
>>Right now, what is happening is when I boot up, I can see my display on
>>both the monitor and my TV. When I start X then my desktop shows
>>normally (using IceWM) on the desktop, and the TV shows just the normal
>>X gray screen. I can move the mouse over to the TV and I see the cursor
>>just fine.
>>
>>That's not what I want though -- I'm trying to get the TV to be its own
>>display, but how do I do that? I think I'm missing something simple in
>>my xorg.conf file, so here it is if you'd like to take a look.
>

> You need to be a little more clear what you want.  When you log in, do
> you want to be logged in on both displays?  Or do you want to have two
> separate logins, one for each display?  If it's the latter, you'll have
> to do some extra work with a project called Ruby (not the programming
> language), which is still somewhat experimental.  If it's the former, it
> will be a little easier.

What I was trying to do was actually send mouse events to the second
display that I was using on my one nvidia video card.  I could get
different displays active on them both (video out and svideo out), but
my mouse and remote would only work on the first display.

I could get things running on the svideo display by executing commands
with DISPLAY=":0.1" (I think it was), but it didn't help much if I
couldn't control it.  I don't know if X.org can map input devices to
displays or not, I haven't looked into it enough.

I ended up just getting a new video card and putting everything in a
separate box, but it would be nice to know if it can be done at least.

Steve