MySQL Privileges

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Mar 18 10:47:37 MST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:02:25AM -0700, TJ Hunter wrote:
> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `customers`.* TO 'ccurley'@'%'
>
> is not the same as
>
> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `customers`.* TO 'ccurley'@'localhost'
>
> if you want to allow access to users from localhost, you have to
> specify that. Doing '%' grant won't do it.

Thank you, that solved the problem.

This bit of wisdom is not in the manual, either in the copy I have or
in the on-line copy to which you refered below. In fact one of the
comments in the on-line version, 'Posted by [name withheld] on March 2
2004 5:36am', suggested otherwise.

> As a side note, if the user will always only be connecting from
> localhost, don't do a % grant at all.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.