Sound Questions

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Thu Mar 17 15:08:37 MST 2005

Jason Jones wrote:
> I've never used it because I have an audigy which supports multiple
> sound streams by default....  but a program called "dmix" (or "demux"...
> not sure) will allow mixing, I believe.  Just a shot in the dark.

It's dmix.  And its possible on your card to use it *without* resorting
to arts or esd.  I haven't set it up myself yet, was actually planning
on doing it soon though.

This howto is a bit outdated and some of it is incorrect but the dmix
section should help.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix

Also, if XMMS is outputting using OSS, disable that plugin.  Ctrl-P.

Steve