Sound Questions

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Thu Mar 17 14:24:12 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:05:24PM -0600, Matthew Frederico wrote:
> Something I have noticed with linux, is its sound has weirdness.  For
> example, I am using XMMS, and in order for me to use Skype, I have to
> shut down xmms.  I can't play XMMS and talk via skype at the same
> time.
>
> using Alsa and I8x0
>
> I've googled for it, and can't find any answer that can conclusively
> tell me if it can be done or not.

Be sure both xmms and skype are using alsa. (it's a audio output plugin
in xmms under Preferences). I know xmms usually defaults to OSS, which
doesn't like multiple things using the sound device.

That's always a bit tricky, even if you're using alsa as your driver,
yoru apps might be using the OSS emulation that alsa provides, thus
losing most of the benifits of alsa.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net