Sound Questions

Scott Paul Robertson spr at
Thu Mar 17 14:24:12 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:05:24PM -0600, Matthew Frederico wrote:
> Something I have noticed with linux, is its sound has weirdness.  For
> example, I am using XMMS, and in order for me to use Skype, I have to
> shut down xmms.  I can't play XMMS and talk via skype at the same
> time.
> using Alsa and I8x0
> I've googled for it, and can't find any answer that can conclusively
> tell me if it can be done or not.

Be sure both xmms and skype are using alsa. (it's a audio output plugin
in xmms under Preferences). I know xmms usually defaults to OSS, which
doesn't like multiple things using the sound device.

That's always a bit tricky, even if you're using alsa as your driver,
yoru apps might be using the OSS emulation that alsa provides, thus
losing most of the benifits of alsa.

Scott Paul Robertson