Converting ulaw to VBR mp3

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:26:29 MST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:47:54 -0700, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 at 15:52 -0700, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> > > I've been unable to get sox to work with ulaw - I tried sox first.
> > >
> > > 'sox: wave header missing FmtExt chunk'
> >
> > sox produces a .wav file that lame can't use:
> >
> > 'Warning: corrupt or unsupported WAVE format'
>
> The version of sox I have here claims to handle ulaw in wav just fine.

I found if if I pass sox info on the file sox can process it:

sox 15146282.wav -r 8000 -s -w temp.wav

I'm still deciding on best lame compression for my use but this is
what I'm using right now:

lame -V 9 --resample 8 --highpass 0.125 --lowpass 3.4 \
      --lowpass-width 0 --noshort temp.wav vbr9.mp3

Lars