Converting ulaw to VBR mp3

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Mar 16 16:47:54 MST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 at 15:52 -0700, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> > I've been unable to get sox to work with ulaw - I tried sox first.
> >
> > 'sox: wave header missing FmtExt chunk'
>
> sox produces a .wav file that lame can't use:
>
> 'Warning: corrupt or unsupported WAVE format'

The version of sox I have here claims to handle ulaw in wav just fine.

  $ file bar.wav
  bar.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, ITU G.711 mu-law, stereo 44100 Hz
  $ sox bar.wav -u baz.wav
  $ file baz.wav
  baz.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

Maybe you could email me a sample that I could play with, or at least
the output of `file foo.wav`.