Converting ulaw to VBR mp3

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Mar 16 15:15:51 MST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 at 15:08 -0700, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> I have several files I need to convert from ulaw to VBR mp3.
>
> lame was unable to deal with these ulaw files directly, so I'm making
> an intermediary file.
>
> These two commands seem to do what I want, starting with ulaw file 15146282.wav:
>
> mplayer -V 15146282.wav -vo null -vc dummy -ao pcm -aofile temp.wav
> lame --r3mix temp.wav 15146282.mp3

You are of course welcome to use mplayer if you like, but I'd do this
with sox.

sox foo.wav <options to get it into the format lame wants> temp.wav
lame --r3mix temp.wav foo.mp3

Lame may even take a wave on stdin and sox could output to stdout, so
you could pipe them together without the temporary file. That's not
going to make as much difference as using sox instead of mplayer, I'm
guessing.

Insert obligatory plug for ogg instead of mp3 here. I'm assuming you
really do want mp3 for some real, if unfathomable, reason.