health insurance

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Tue Mar 15 11:41:28 MST 2005

Not long ago, Merrill Oveson proclaimed...
> I've noticed that at least a few of you have quit your regular day
> jobs to become independent consultants.
>
> What have you done about health insurance?

If you're healthy and all, just get health insurance with an agent. Most
people can do well this way. For example, family coverage with IHC can be
under $300/mo.

OTOH, if you're me and you have health issues (I am diabetic), you won't
have much luck getting an insurance company to sign you up on an individual
or family plan. You could petition the state to force an insurance company
to take you, but they'll charge you the highest rates possible.

President Bush has been talking about legislation to allow small business
owners to form groups with other business owners so they can collectively
get group rates on insurance. I look forward to this.

Since my partner Mike and I are both full-time with Iodynamics, we formed a
group (need at least two) and got an IHC small-employer plan. It's
expensive- mostly because my health issues affect premiums for everyone in
the group - but it's done and I don't have to worry about it anymore. As we
add more employees (healthy ones, I hope), the individual premiums should
level out.

Hope that helps.

 "Drop your trousers here for best results.  "
    -- Seen in a Bangkok dry cleaners