AIM TOS change

Derek Burdick derek at burdick.cc
Mon Mar 14 17:08:31 MST 2005

Dan Wilson wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 11:17 -0700, Eric Jensen wrote:
>

>>Steve Dibb wrote:
>>That is tricky, but with enough exaggerated "hax0r" and various
>>security, malware, virus, etc scary stories you can convert most of
>>those types.  Something like "AOL *might* read your conversation!", all
>>you get is a /shrug.  But if you spin it as them selling their
>>information to a 3rd party, especially those interested in identify
>>

>I don't think you even need to go there... just quote the AIM TOS:
>
>"In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its
>parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the
>irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform,
>distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any
>right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the
>Content or to be compensated for any such uses."
>
>I sent that to a couple buddies and they are switching.  AOL doesn't
>mince words with this and it's pretty scary for most people... even if
>they don't use it for anything other than simple chit-chat.
>
>-Dan
>
>.===================================.
>| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
>|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
>|  IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net   |
>`==================================='

Is sending an instant message considered posting?  From dictionary.com:

post1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pst)
n.
A long piece of wood or other material set upright into the ground to
serve as a marker or support.
A similar vertical support or structure, as:
    A support for a beam in the framework of a building.
    A terminal of a battery.
Sports. A goal post.
The starting point at a racetrack.
The slender barlike part of a stud earring that passes through the ear
and is secured at the back with a small cap or clip.
An electronic message sent to a newsgroup: ignored several inflammatory
posts.